Sunday, June 12, 2011

Well that was unexpected…….

Seven days ago I posted that I was going to spend that week reviewing SEC 504, then using this week to review the material I needed to work on and taking the GSE written on the 18th. Review of the 504 material went much quicker than I thought and was done Tuesday.  I spent time contemplating moving the test date forward, and decided to take the written on Friday the 10th. My thought was, if I didn’t know the material now, I would not know it in a week and I should go for it!

So, Tuesday night I booked the test and was ready to go for Friday. I spent Wednesday night with family, and contemplating an email I got about going to Game 5 of the NBA finals! After a very tough decision I decided not to go, which in hindsight I am kicking myself for not going. Thursday I got stuck at the office and didn’t get home until after 8 (normally not a big deal). I watched Game 5 (kicking myself again for not going), after watching the Mav’s victory I went to bed.

Friday, test day, I slept in until 6:45 since I was working from home in the morning and testing in the afternoon. At noon, I packed up all my stuff and headed to the testing center. When I got to the testing center I had to wait in the lobby for 15 minutes (which didn’t help me). Finally, I got checked in and started the exam right on time (1:00 pm).

I am not going to cover what was on the written exam other than to say all GSE objectives were covered and nothing was asked that was not listed on the GSE Objectives web site. 

After completing the test, I was greeted with a passing score, which means my next steps are to schedule the lab in Vegas at SANS Network Security 2011! Although I am proud of my accomplishment, I have no clue what’s next.

I am going to spend the next week or so coming up with a study plan, although I know I am going to steal some of it from a fellow GSE candidate Ash! I know each person has a study plan to meet their needs and I am working on mine.  Next week I will give some insights into my study plan and lab for the GSE.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Site Meter