Sunday, June 5, 2011

GSE Written…Studying has begun in Ernst!

Since I decided to apply for the GSE I began reviewing my material from the three classes. My schedule was to have all my reviews done by 6/12 with an eye on taking the written on 6/18. As of today I am on track just completing my review of SEC 503, and already completed SEC 401.

This week is all about the last class SEC 504 (Incident Handling). Looking over the material I will say this review is the one I looking forward to the most and one of the reasons why I saved it for last!

After SEC 504, I am going to make a list of things to spend time reviewing next week such as bit masking (I always mess this up when I do it by hand) and what you use symmetric and asymmetric encryption for (I know what they are for, I occasionally mix them up though), as well as other areas.

As I go through the material, one thing I can say is there is a lot of material. The depth at which I must cover is where the real challenge in the GSE is, at least for me. For example, when doing packet analysis it’s not just knowing what a particular field represents, but what should the field look like (normal behavior) or not look like (abnormal behavior). That level of understanding is what makes this a challenge.

There are two things about studying for the GSE that I have come to appreciate already. First, the level of knowledge a GSE have is truly amazing and second, I will come away regardless of pass/fail a better security professional.
So for now, off to review SEC 504…………………………

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Site Meter