Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Completed OWSP challenge …………………and passed!

A few months ago I blogged about taking the Offensive-Security Wifu class, which can be found here. I finally completed the second part of the class and signed up for the challenge to get the Offensive Security Wireless Professional (OWSP).

The second part of the class, which had several videos with it, was focused on gathering information and using that information to attack wireless networks. The class focused on the different applications that make up the aircrack-ng suite of tools. After learning what you used the various tools for the put it all together to show how to crack WEP-OPN, WEP-SKA and WPA-PSK. They also discussed different ways to attack wireless networks that have no associated clients or very little network activity.

After completing the class I studied the lab material and ran through every attack scenario a few times to make sure I was able to successfully perform each type of attack. Once I was comfortable with all of the attack types I registered to take the OWSP challenge.

The OWSP exam is different than other certifications exams in which they ask you a question and you typically choice a multiple choice answer. For the OWSP I had to connect to a system on the Internet and perform a series of attacks to gain access to wireless networks within 4 hours. Once you complete the objectives you write up how you performed the attacks and they send you the answers back with-in 72 hours.

I started my exam on time, but ran into 1 technical issue. I contact exam support and the issue was resolved immediately. After the issue was resolved I went about my exam and completed all my objectives in about an hour and half. I should have been done sooner but I made a mistake on one attack that added about 20 minutes to the length of the exam. After completing my objectives I had 24 hours to prepare my documentation and turn in for grading.

I completed the documentation a couple of hours after the exam and sent off to be graded. I receive a confirmation they received the documentation and went about my business, expecting to hear back in a couple of days. This morning I was pleasantly surprised to receive an email stating that I had successfully passed my challenge and was certified as an OWSP.

If you have any interested in wireless security this is a great course to start off with, especially if you factor in the cost of the course and certification. If you need to take a wireless security course and have limited funds, this is a great course to take and I will recommend it to anyone.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing your post, I am in the WiFu course as well and am getting ready to take the challenge once I feel comfortable. I think I am just worried about WPA still... :/

    ReplyDelete

 
Site Meter