Sunday, February 28, 2010

The dog ate my thumb drive!

I was going to write about egress filtering on an Internet Router but something occurred today that I had to write about.

Remember the old adage the dog ate my homework? I can say today the dog ate my thumb drive. Playing golf today I received a panicked phone call from my wife informing me one of my dogs ate my thumb drive! Now I admit I use my thumb drive more for file transfer than file storage, I learned that lesson a long time ago, so nothing critical was on the drive.

When I got home I looked at the USB drive and it was crushed on one side of the interface. Since I knew the thumb drive contained nothing critical I decided to attempt to "repair" the drive.

With nothing to lose and subscribing to the theory you can save the world with a leatherman and duct tape I started my thumb drive repair. Using the leatherman's many devices I very carefully bent the USB interface back into its normal rectangular shape.

Reviewing the work of the leatherman and myself and being very proud of it, I plugged the drive into my Mac and waited. I opened up Finder and Success! Finder saw the drive and I successfully browse the drive. Looking over the data on the thumb drive, I was correct in nothing would have been lost, thankfully.

So the moral of the story is if your dog does eat your thumb drive, get a leatherman and ever so carefully repair the drive! Next week I will discuss egress filtering on the Internet router.

1 comment:

  1. This just happened to an individual at our office. You're giving us hope it might be fixable.

    ReplyDelete

 
Site Meter